Victim Assistance Information for Patients

  • Notify the patient as soon as possible after s/he arrives that the confidential services of a sexual assault crisis counselor are available free of charge. Make initial contact with local sexual assault crisis service. (Click herefor more information.)
  • Notify the patient as soon as possible that s/he will not be responsible for the cost of the medical exam or collection of evidence, but may be responsible for other related expenses.
  • Notify the patient as soon as possible that s/he may be eligible for financial assistance through the Office of Victim Services Compensation Program.
  • Notify the patient that assistance, including shelter, may be available if family violence is involved. (Learn more here.)

To contact a family violence victim advocate and for emergency shelter, counseling and other services, call the 24-Hour Hotline in your area.

Ansonia 203-736-9944 New Britain 860-225-6357
Bridgeport 203-384-9559 New Haven 203-789-8104
Danbury 203-731-5206 New London 860-701-6000
Danielson 860-774-8648 Norwalk 203-852-1980
Enfield 860-763-4542 Sharon 860-364-1900
Greenwich 203-622-0003 Stamford 203-357-8162
Hartford 860-527-0550 Torrington 860-482-7133
Meriden 203-238-1501 Waterbury 203-575-0036
Middletown 860-347-3044 Willimantic 860-456-9476


If you have questions about your rights, or if you want information about other services, you may call the Office of Victim Services.

Compensation Information

If you (or your child) were sexually assaulted, and you reported the crime to the police within five days, or disclosed the sexual assault pursuant to [§54-209] you can apply for compensation with the Office of Victim Services for medical and metal health expenses and lost wages, resulting from the crime. [§54-204 – §54-224] For information, forms and assistance completing the application, call the Office of Victim Services.

The Office of Victim Services
Monday – Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm